Every month we introduce you to one of the people leading the work of our member organisations. In this edition, we head to the capital of Finland. In Helsinki, the CEO Kunta-asunnot Oy/ Municipal Housing ltd, Jarmo Kuosa introduces our Finnish member organisation and identifies the key characteristics and challenges of the affordable housing sector in the country. Plus, as usual, he shares some tips that help him strike a good life-work balance.
Kunta-asunnot Oy/ Municipal Housing ltd ID
- I would describe Municipal Housing Ltd in 10 words as the national company which builds and manages affordable rental apartments for people who need them the most.
- Our key objective is to provide affordable good quality rental housing mainly in growing regions.
- Apart from housing provision, our mission is ”Reliable, safe and affordable housing”.
- We are members of Housing Europe because housing is diverse in different countries. Experiences from other countries help us develop different operating models in Finland and meet changing market needs.
- Housing is considered to be in Finland vital at national level. In some areas there are too many apartments while in some others tough housing shortage. In metropolitan areas, housing is a key factor to support economic growth.
- Our key partners in the country are... construction companies, shareholder municipalities, state authorities and financial institutions.
- Our main housing policy priority at the moment is to sell or renovate a property portfolio, which no longer meets current housing needs. At the same time we build new apartments in metropolitan areas where they are highly needed.
- The major challenge for the country today is to get housing to those areas where there is shortage of them.
- I start my working day reading the news and eating a good breakfast.
- After leaving the office I spend time with my family. I am also involved in municipal politics to impact on social issues, trying to make our life a little bit better.
- Currently I am reading... "The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury, since my passion is diving and I have rescue diver license...
- ... while listening to good classical music.
- I prefer having on my table healthy local food, preferably fish accompanied by excellent white wine.