European Parliament | Rue Wiertz 60, 1047 Brussels, Belgium | 22nd January 2019, 3pm - 6pm
We would like to invite you to this Housing Solutions Platform debate.
Co-hosted by Marian Harkin MEP and Brando Benifei MEP, the event will feature several speakers including Henning Ehrenstein, Deputy Head of Unit at the European Commission DG Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs.
Are home-sharing services taking housing off the long-term rental market and therefore playing a significant role in driving up rents to unaffordable levels? Is rent rising faster in neighbourhoods where Airbnb is most popular? What role for cities and the rental-platforms to address the housing crisis?
3pm | Welcome & Introduction
- Marian Harkin MEP
- Freek Spinnewjin (FEANTSA)
3.20pm | What evidence of what impact?
Moderation by Freek Spinnewjin (FEANTSA)
- Keynote by Davide Proserpio, Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Southern California
The Sharing Economy and Housing Affordability: Evidence from Airbnb
- Henning Ehrenstein, Deputy head of unit, DG GROW (European Commission)
- Luis Falcon, CEO & Co-founder, In Atlas
- Sergio Vinay, Public Policy and Campaign Manager at AirBnB
- Albert Eefting, City of Amsterdam, city coalition on illegal holidays rental
- Preliminary results from Europe: Miguel Àngel García López (2018): Do short-term rent platforms affect rents? Evidence from Airbnb in Barcelona
Followed by discussion with the audience
4.30pm Coffee Break
4.45pm | How can cities better address the affordable housing crisis?
Moderation by Sorcha Edwards (Housing Europe)
- Sergi Marí, Manager of Tourism of Barcelona Municipality
- Carlos Villaro Larssen, Secretarz General of the European Holiday Home Association
- Johannes Lutter Head of Future Cities, city of Vienna (tbc)
- Daithi Downey, Dublin City Council (tbc)
- Sito Veracruz, Founder & Coordinator Legal and Public Sector, Fair Bnb
5.45pm - 6pm | Concluding session with
- Sarah Coupechoux, Abbé Pierre Foundation
- Brando Benifei MEP