Who are the new Commissioners who will count for Social, Cooperative & Public Housing?
A first look at the 'Team von der Leyen'Brussels, 13 September 2019 | Published in Energy, Urban, Economy, Social
The future President of the the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, who will start her mandate on November 1st has unveiled the list of Commissioners (i.e 'the EU government'). Among them, there are quite a few who will have a more prominent role in shaping policies that might have an impact on social, cooperative and public housing. We put together a first overview below.
- Frans Timmermans (the Netherlands), First Executive Vice-President, in charge of the European Green Deal and the Climate objectives. This green deal is expected to encompass a green investment package with the view to support renovation of the European Building Stock
- Margrethe Vestager, Executive Vice President, will continue to oversee Competition policies (ie. State aid and SGEI)
- Kadri Simson (Estonia) will be in charge of energy policies
- Elisa Ferreira (Portugal) will be in charge of Cohesion, supervising regional and urban policies (ie. Structural Funds)
- Nicolas Schmit (Luxemburg) will be in charge of social policies
- Sylvie Goulard (France) will be in charge of internal market and industry
- Paolo Gentiloni (Italy) will be in charge of economic affairs and tax issues
Over the next 5 years, Housing Europe will interact with the new Commissioners and the related European Commission’s services in order to promote our members’ vision illustrated by our Elections Manifesto.